Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Food allergy = no beer?

A little back-story here: In the past 2 years, I have adopted the Paleo Diet as a way of life. I have learned a lot about the science of food, and frankly this diet makes me feel better. One of the main tenants of the diet is "No grains". I've always stuck to this, with the exception of beer.

On a seemingly unrelated note, I've had GI issues since I was about 17. I never really got a solid diagnosis, and was always prescribed Nexium or some other purple pill, and was just told to take that every day.

Fast forward to last week, and I had a follow-up with my GI doc. In October, he took a biopsy of my esophagus and came up with a conclusive diagnosis for the first time since I've had these issues: eosinophilic esophagitis

If you read that wiki, you'll see that ironically, this condition is primarily a food allergy issue. The most common food allergies associated with it are gluten (wheat) and dairy. So, I have an appointment with an allergist in February, and will be doing a 100% compliant Paleo diet starting on Jan. 1st to try to eliminate any possible allergens. This means no beer :(

I will attempt to get a few Hard Cider and mead posts on the blog, and will be attempting to "brew" my own hard cider in the coming weeks as well.

TL;DR: I may be allergic to ingredients in beer, I will have less posts in the next month or so.

-Bo

2 comments:

  1. There are Gluten Free beers out there, red bridge is one that I know of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about natty? Mostly rice anyway

    ReplyDelete