Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Cigar City Oatmeal Raisin Cookie

Brewer: Cigar City
Style: American Brown Ale
ABV: 5.5%

This different brew is based off the same base recipe as the Espresso Maduro I previously reviewed only with a different twist. I really can't say that I knew what to expect with this one. I ordered based of recommendation of the bartender, Daneaux, at Abbey in Deland Florida.

After receiving this glass I couldn't help but notice the dark, only slightly translucent color which was close to that of the Espresso. The main difference was the amber color along the edges and this one let a bit more light through. The head was white which thinned out to a nice lace. The initial whiff was that of fresh baked cookies, which had me weary of it being to "flavored."

I was happily surprised upon drinking the brew before me. The initial taste was that of oatmeal alone with some light spices. This gave way to a nice bitterness which was a pleasant surprise. Once finished with the initial taste I waited until an amazing aftertaste of oatmeal raisin cookies hit my palate. It was just the right amount nothing too over powering. The beauty of it was that it kept you from downing this already fantastic beer because I always found myself waiting for the aftertaste before taking another drink. The carbonation didn't mute the flavors either with a tingly mouth feel that finished off very smooth.

I can happily give this beer an A- and only wish I could find it at home.

-Roy

No comments:

Post a Comment