Saturday, December 18, 2010

Baltika #4 Dark Lager

Brewer: Pivzavod Baltika
Style: European Dark Lager
ABV: 5.6%
Country: Russia

Found this at Total Wine in the imports section. Came in an oddly shaped brown bottle with seal. Label with Cyrillic lettering. Hadn't seen one quite like this before so I'd figure I'd give it a try.

Poured a dark, coppery-tan. Looked murky and cloudy. Thin white head receded quickly leaving no lace. Didn't appear very appetizing.

The aroma was odd, plenty of molasses and honey. Some grain and sour notes were present as well. Not the most pleasant smell in the world. So far off to a bad start.

The first sip incredibly sweet and syrupy. The molasses shines through with hints of honey throughout, given the initial look and smell, the first sip was better than I expected. No bitterness to speak of. The finish was sticky and full of more molasses. Tasted like I was drinking a bottle of sour syrup. This aftertaste was total overkill for me and I couldn't bring myself to finish it. Too bad because the initial taste I rather enjoyed. F+

No comments:

Post a Comment