Saturday, January 8, 2011

Terrapin Side Project 13 (Big Daddy Vlady's Russian Imperial Stout)

Brewer: Terrapin
Style: Russian Imperial Stout
ABV: 10.25%

Terrapin is a brewery based out of Atlanta Georgia and through some research does a lot of 1 time release side projects so I got my hands on one. Being that its still cold outside I am glad it was a Russian Imperial Stout, one of my favorite types of beer.

Pour was dark and a roasty aroma filled the air. The head a thick brown foam that receded but left its markings on the side of the glass. A good smell picks up a nose with chocolate notes along with that roastiness noticed earlier. Slight toffee comes though and some hops.

The flavor followed the aroma with a good amount of roasted malt. Some chocolate made it through mid swallow. The finish has a slight bitterness to it which then returned to a more chocolaty aftertaste. Reminded me a lot of >70% dark chocolate. A few more sips revealed a little bit of licorice and a hint of toffee. Good medium to heavy body as expected form this type of beer. Mouth feel was very smooth. Definitely a beer that could keep you warm in the winter months.

Not a bad RIS by any means, doesn't quite measure up to one of my favorites, Stone's RIS but not a bad brew at all. I'm giving this one a B+.

-Roy

More of my photography

No comments:

Post a Comment