Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale

Brewer: Stone
Style: Black IPA
ABV: 8.7%

Another fine brew from the guys at Stone. I had the pleasure of trying this a Stone tasting/dinner a few months back and then again at a local tasting. I figured it would be good to pick one up and review.

Pour is deliciously dark but when some light passes through becomes a dark amber/cherry color. Head is thick and recedes slowly to a light brown lace, not unlike a lot of stouts.

Roasted malt and smokey notes hit the nose. A slight aroma of toffee after a few deep inhales.

Flavor is no doubt different to me, the best way I can explain it is a porter's coffee, toffee and roasted malt combined with the bitterness of an IPA then finishes with a nice smokiness. Nice complexity and I would expect nothing less from the guys at Stone. A light to medium body brew that I could see myself enjoying more of.

Overall B+

-Roy

No comments:

Post a Comment